[R] A small problem with PDF manuals

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 21:33:43 CEST 2011

On 19/04/2011 3:14 PM, apjaworski at mmm.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am not sure if I have done something wrong or something changed between
> 12.2.2 and 2.13.0, but I just installed R-2.13.0 from CRAN install
> executable on 64 bit Windows 7 Pro and when I try "Help>Manuals (in
> PDF)>An Introduction to R" I get the following
>
> Error: 'doc\manual\R-intro.pdf' not found
>
> The same error occurs with all other PDF manuals.

That's a bug in 2.13.0 which has been fixed in R-patched.  The easiest
thing is probably to install R-patched (binary builds are on CRAN);
another workaround (which will cause you headaches in the future, so I
don't really recommend it) is to define the environment variable R_HOME
set equal to the path to the R home directory in Windows format with
backslashes.  (The headaches come when you upgrade and it points to the
wrong place.)

> I have R_HOME (and RHOME) environmental variables set to
> C:/local/R/R-2.13.0 (where I installed R).  Everything else seems to work
> fine except for the PDFs.  The PDFs of course exist and are located  in
> the C:/local/R/R-2.13.0/doc/manual folder.

The paths need to contain backslashes in 2.13.0.  R-patched will be
happy with the forward slashes you used.

Duncan Murdoch