[R] trends regarding memory limitations for R use under Linux

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Fri Apr 22 18:31:18 CEST 2011

On 22.04.2011 18:17, Christine SINOQUET wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am aware of possibilities to extend memory, for the R language, under
> Windows.
>
> Since I read it is not the case under Linux, I would like to know up to
> which size R can handle matrices.
 >
> The RAM limitation of my PC is 4 G0.

Then a completely filled memory with doubles (i.e. 8 byte floating point
numbers) is 4*1024^3/8 (if you have a 64-bit OS). But in order to do
something, the objects should not take more than 1/3 of your available
memory. Hence a matrix with 4*1024^3/8/3 elements seems to be a
reasonable upper limit.

Uwe Ligges