[R] Using Java methods in R

hill0093 hill0093 at umn.edu
Sat Apr 23 04:51:03 CEST 2011

I just now registered in R forum.
I use Windows because of past history of using windows.
I have been writing and using programs in java for about a decade.
I work with unequal-interval-time-series data files, 1st 5 lines like:
Title Line
CnYrMoDaHrMnScDCMQ,ColSerTit1,ColSerTit2,ColSerTit3,ColSerTit4,
201104212359599999,Ser1Datum1,Ser2Datum1,Ser3Datum1,Ser4Datum1,
201104220059428739,Ser1Datum2,Ser2Datum2,Ser3Datum2,Ser4Datum2,
201104220103369291,Ser1Datum3,Ser2Datum3,Ser3Datum3,Ser4Datum3,
where e.g.Ser4Datum3 is a number, and calendartime unit can be
anywhere from Da down to Q (Quadiseconds), a lot stops at Mn.
Time is same unit throughout any one file.

Getting to the point: I have all of the calendar-linear conversion
and file reading subroutines as Java methods and would like to
use them in R. I am not very knowledgeable yet about R.
I need instructions about how to set up and use java in R on Windows.
Can anyone help me with setup instructions then starting with a
simple Java function (method) call. One problem with Java is that a
function returns only one item.