[R] Vertical bwplot and stripplot

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Apr 23 15:47:27 CEST 2011

On Apr 23, 2011, at 9:26 AM, David Neu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to change the default orientation of bwplot() and stripplot()
> so the plots are displayed vertically.  Passing horizontal=FALSE into
> stripplot in the simple code below doesn't seem to be the answer.
>
> library(lattice);
> x <- rnorm(100);
> y <- as.factor(sapply(1:100, function(k) sample(c("A","B","C"), 1,
> prob=c(1/2, 1/3, 1/6))));
> my.df <- data.frame(x=x, y=y);
> stripplot(~x | y, data=my.df, as.table=TRUE, layout=c(1,3), hor);

A) hor is not defined
B) it doesn't make sense to me to have the continuous variable as the
independent variable here, despite if being named `x`.

Try:
stripplot(x~y , data=my.df, as.table=TRUE, layout=c(1,3),
horizontal=FALSE);

(I didn't recognize the as.table argument, but experimentation seems
to produce a top-down order to the plots.)

--
David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT