[R] Vertical bwplot and stripplot

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Apr 23 16:23:06 CEST 2011

On Apr 23, 2011, at 10:13 AM, David Neu wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 9:47 AM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net
> > wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 23, 2011, at 9:26 AM, David Neu wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to change the default orientation of bwplot() and
>>> stripplot()
>>> so the plots are displayed vertically.  Passing horizontal=FALSE
>>> into
>>> stripplot in the simple code below doesn't seem to be the answer.
>>>
>>> library(lattice);
>>> x <- rnorm(100);
>>> y <- as.factor(sapply(1:100, function(k) sample(c("A","B","C"), 1,
>>> prob=c(1/2, 1/3, 1/6))));
>>> my.df <- data.frame(x=x, y=y);
>>> stripplot(~x | y, data=my.df, as.table=TRUE, layout=c(1,3), hor);
>>
>> A) hor is not defined
>> B) it doesn't make sense to me to have the continuous variable as the
>> independent variable here, despite if being named `x`.
>>
>> Try:
>> stripplot(x~y , data=my.df, as.table=TRUE, layout=c(1,3),
>> horizontal=FALSE);
>>
>> (I didn't recognize the as.table argument, but experimentation
>> seems to
>> produce a top-down order to the plots.)
>>
>> --
>> David Winsemius, MD
>> West Hartford, CT
>>

> Many thanks for your reply!
>
>> A) hor is not defined
> Ugggh, cut and paste mistake.
>
>> B) it doesn't make sense to me to have the continuous variable as the
>> independent variable here, despite if being named `x`.
> I have data from related experiments in that involves two variables
> conditioned on a third.  This data is displayed in an xyplot.  The
> reason I'm trying to get the vertical orientation in the stripplot is
> that in some experiments the variable plotted on the horizontal axis
> is invariant and in these cases for consistency I'd like the variable
> that is plotted on the vertical axis to continue to appear vertically.
>
> For example in non-lattice graphics the following works:
> stripchart(rnorm(100), vert=TRUE).
>
>> Try:
>> stripplot(x~y , data=my.df, as.table=TRUE, layout=c(1,3),
>> horizontal=FALSE);
> Yes, that's moving closer, but the strips containing the conditioning
> info are missing.

You only offered two variables, so It's unclear what sort of
"conditioning info" you imagine. Your stripchart()  example that you
say "works" told me nothing.

Unless perhaps you are trying for:
stripplot( x~1 | y , data=my.df,  layout=c(1,3), horizontal=FALSE)

--

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT