[R] Using Java methods in R

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 23 22:17:25 CEST 2011

> From: marchywka at hotmail.com
> To: hill0093 at umn.edu; r-help at r-project.org
> Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 15:12:30 -0400
> Subject: Re: [R] Using Java methods in R

> > Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 05:32:59 -0700
> > From: hill0093 at umn.edu
> > To: r-help at r-project.org
> > Subject: Re: [R] Using Java methods in R
> >
> > No answer to my post,
> > so let's try a simpler question. Am I doing this correctly?
> > I have the RGui with R Console on the screen.
> > On rhe top pullDowns, Packages > Install Packages > USA(IA)> rJava
> > > library(rJava)
> > > .jinit()
> > > qsLin <- .jnew("C:/ad/j/CalqsLin")
> > Error in .jnew("C:/ad/j/CalqsLin") :
> > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: C:/ad/j/CalqsLin
>
> i haven't used rjava yet, I think I installed it on linux
> for testing but no real usage, but this message
> appears to come from jvm probably because you
> specified an aboslute path. You can try this from
> command line,
>

> $ ls ../geo/dayte*
> ../geo/dayte.class
>
> mmarchywka at phlulap01 /cygdrive/c/d/phluant/duphus
> $ java ../geo/dayte
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: ///geo/dayte
> Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: ...geo.dayte
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
> Could not find the main class: ../geo/dayte.  Program will exit.
>

> you want to search for the classpath and set that up then
> refernce the class name not the path ( the class loader will follow
> the path looking for it ).
> Not sure how you do that in rjava under 'dohs but
> if you search for that term is should be apparent.
> And of course 'dohs and pdf aren't always friendly
> for automated work so get something like cygwin and
> reduce pdf's to text etc.

It appears that by default the current directory is on the
classpath. I must have installed this on 'dohs before
and if I copy the class file into R directory it
can find it,

> library("rJava")
> .jinit()
> .jnew("foo")
Error in .jnew("foo") : java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: foo
> .jnew("dayte")
[1] "Java-Object{dayte at 1de3f2d}"

that's unlikely to fix all your problems, you want to set the classpath
but if you know the term and can load cygwin you should be able
to find the way to set that up.