[R] blank space escape sequence in R?

Matt Shotwell matt at biostatmatt.com
Mon Apr 25 19:42:00 CEST 2011

I may have misread your original email. Whether you use a hex escape or
a space character, the resulting string in memory is identical:

> identical("a\x20b", "a b")
[1] TRUE

But, if you were to read a file containing the six characters "a
\x20b" (say with readLines), then the six characters would be read into
memory, and printed like this:

"a\\x20b"

That is, not with a space character substituted for \x20. So, now I'm
not sure this is a solution.