[R] Still confused about classes

Kenn Konstabel lebatsnok at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 10:35:02 CEST 2011

The function for getting the year from date  is there in package
lubridate (as well as many other convenient functions to work with
dates).

More generally, finding "all" methods for a given class may be a
little tricky. If "all" means everything you have installed and
currently attached to your search path then methods(class="Date") will
do it (for S3 classes). (but "The functions listed are  those which
_are named like methods_ and may not actually be   methods (known
exceptions are discarded in the code). ") The result depends on which
packages you have loaded: in my currently open R session,
methods("Date") lists 36 "possible methods" but after library(zoo) I
get two more ( "as.yearmon.Date" and "as.yearqtr.Date").

Regards,
Kenn