[R] Nomograms from rms' fastbw output objects

Frank Harrell f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Apr 29 14:55:30 CEST 2011

Hi Rob,

fastbw does not try to produce a full fit object.  You have to re-run the
fit manually based on what you (sometimes dangerously) learn from fastbw.
If I can find a way to add a 'formula' component to the fastbw result then
you could do something like lrm(fastbw(fit)$formula, ...).

Frank

Rob James wrote:

> There is both a technical and a theoretical element to my question...
> Should I be able to use the outputs which arise from the fastbw function
> as inputs to nomogram().  I seem to be failing at this, -- I obtain a
> subscript out of range error.
>
> That I can't do this may speak to technical failings, but I suspect it
> is because Prof Harrell thinks/knows it injudicious. However,  I can't
> invent a reason why nomograms should be restricted to the full models,
> if the purpose of fastbw is to generate parsimonious models with
> appropriate standard errors.
>
> I'd welcome comments on either the technical or the theoretical issues.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Rob James

-----
Frank Harrell