[R] read.csv fails to read a CSV file from google docs

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri Apr 29 20:13:56 CEST 2011

With S+ I get:
 S+>
download.file("http://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en&hl=
en&key=0AgMhDTVek_sDdGI2YzY2R1ZESDlmZS1VYUxvblQ0REE&single=true&gid=0&ou
tput=csv", destfile="e:/temp/splus")
 Problem in
download.file("http://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/pu..: Could
not get url: un
 supported protocol, libcurl was built with SSL disabled, https: not
supported!
and with cygwin's wget I get
 E:\temp\jnk>wget
"http://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AgMhDT
Vek_sDdGI2YzY2R1ZESDlmZS1VYUxvblQ0REE&single=true&gid=0&outpu
t=csv"
 --2011-04-29 11:00:10--
http://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AgMhDTV
ek_sDdGI2YzY2R1ZESDlmZS1VYUxvblQ0REE&single=true&gid=
0&output=csv
 Resolving spreadsheets0.google.com... 74.125.224.73, 74.125.224.71,
74.125.224.64, ...
 Connecting to spreadsheets0.google.com|74.125.224.73|:80... connected.
 HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Moved Temporarily
 Location:
https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AgMhDT
Vek_sDdGI2YzY2R1ZESDlmZS1VYUxvblQ0REE&single=true&gid=0&output=csv [
following]
 --2011-04-29 11:00:11--
https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AgMhDT
Vek_sDdGI2YzY2R1ZESDlmZS1VYUxvblQ0REE&single=true&gid
=0&output=csv
 Connecting to spreadsheets0.google.com|74.125.224.73|:443... connected.
 ERROR: cannot verify spreadsheets0.google.com's certificate, issued by
`/C=US/O=Google Inc/CN=Google Internet Authority':
   Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.
 To connect to spreadsheets0.google.com insecurely, use
`--no-check-certificate'.
 Unable to establish SSL connection.

so I suspect that the SLL/certifcate business may also be the problem
when
using R to get the document.  The R error message is not very
illuminating.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com