[R] Problem with qualitative variables in anova

katerinaaa ppoulimen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 16:43:12 CEST 2011

Hi,
I am newbie in R programming and I need some help.

I have two columns the first has 1000 values Y/N/U and the other has f/m.
Like that :

q7  sex
======
U    m
U     f
U    m
N    f

I want to do one way anova parametric and no parametric.
But I have some problems.

Code:

frameq7 <- data.frame(q7,sex)
frameq7

r <- aov(q7 ~ sex, data = frameq7)
summary(r)

I take
Error in storage.mode(y) <- "double" :
invalid to change the storage mode of a factor
In addition: Warning message:
In model.response(mf, "numeric") :
using type="numeric" with a factor response will be ignored

Could you help me please to make it wright ?

And finally how can I present this analysis ? with boxplot ?

Thanks a lot