[R] regular expression in gsub() for strings with leading backslash

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 03:07:37 CEST 2011

On 29/04/2011 7:41 PM, Miao wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone help on gsub() in R?  I have a string like something below, and
> wanted to delete all the strings with leading backslash, including "\xa0On",
> "\023, "\xab", and many others.   How should I write a regular expression
> pattern in gsub()?  I don't care how many characters following backslash.

If those are R strings, none of them contain a backslash.  In R, a
backslash would always be printed as \\.

\x is the introduction to a hexadecimal encoding for a character; the
next two characters show the hex digits.  So your first string contains
a single character \xa0, the third one contains \xab, and so on.

The \023 is an octal encoding for a single character.

Duncan Murdoch