[R] Best Practices for submitting packages to CRAN

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Sat Apr 30 05:41:32 CEST 2011

Two additions to Michael Friendly's comments:

       1.  Have you considered putting your package on R-Forge
(r-forge.r-project.org)?  They have a facility (which has been broken
for several months now but will likely be fixed again at some time in
the future) to test your package more or less daily on 7 different
combinations of operating system and versions of R.  This has
occasionally found errors that I could not replicate -- but could
nevertheless fix!  It also makes it easy for you to have people test a
new version before you want to release it, e.g., via
install.packages("fda", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")' for the
"fda" package.

       2.  In addition to "\dontrun", you can also put tests you DO want
to perform but don't want to show the user in "\dontshow".  I use this
latter routinely to do unit tests.  There is an RUnit package, which I
probably should learn to use but haven't, and there are other unit
testing facilities with R that others can discuss that can help you
produce "trustworthy software" (John Chambers 2008 Software for Data
Analysis, Springer).  Rather than learn these other facilities, I
routinely program unit tests in the examples section of my help files,
often using a construct like the following:

myAnswer <- myFun()

correctAnswer <- list(whatever)

\dontshow{stopifnot(}
all.equal(myAnswer, correctAnswer)
\dontshow{)}

       The code won't pass "R CMD check" until "myAnswer" and
"correctAnswer" are essentially equal.

       When I find or someone reports a bug, I first program another
check like this into the help file.  Then I fix the bug.  After that, I
have confidence that if something other change introduces a problem like
that, I'll know it before it reaches users other than me.

       sg