[R] Is R the right choice for simulating first passage times of random walks?

Dennis Murphy djmuser at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 02:31:47 CEST 2011

Hi:

See if this works for you:

f4 <- function()
  {
     x <- sample(c(-1L,1L), 1)

      if (x >= 0 ) {return(1)} else {
           csum <- x
           len <- 1
               while(csum < 0) {
                   csum <- csum + sample(c(-1, 1), 1)
                   len <- len + 1
                                          }     }
      len
  }

# In one batch of repetitions of this function,
system.time(out <- replicate(1000, f4()))
   user  system elapsed
   0.51    0.00    0.52
> range(out)
[1]     1 17372

but in another (untimed), this took a significantly longer amount of
time to run [for obvious reasons]:
> range(out)
[1]      1 987752

For 100000 repetitions, I'd guess this could run anywhere from one to
several minutes, depending on the lengths of the sojourns encountered.
This looks like a reasonable way to visualize the output for 1000
replications:

hist(log(out), nclass = 20)

Notice that the function takes no arguments, returns the length of the
random walk while its cumulative sum is negative [or 1 if it starts
out positive], and then uses the replicate() function to iterate the
function f4() N times.

HTH,
Dennis