[R] Standard Deviation of a matrix

Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) NordlDJ at dshs.wa.gov
Tue Aug 2 18:07:36 CEST 2011

First, your data attachment did not come through the list.  Second, decimals are not a problem.  Third, you don't have a matrix, you have a data frame (read.table produces data frames).  As long as all columns are numeric you could do something like

sd(c(as.matrix(m)))

You could also convert to a matrix on input if you really don't need a dataframe for different column types.

Hope this is helpful,

Dan

Daniel J. Nordlund
Planning, Performance, and Accountability
Research and Data Analysis Division
Olympia, WA 98504-5204