[R] 3D Bar Graphs in ggplot2?

Brian Diggs diggsb at ohsu.edu
Tue Aug 2 22:25:21 CEST 2011

On 8/2/2011 11:39 AM, wwreith wrote:
> Does anyone know how to create a 3D Bargraph using ggplot2/qplot. I don't
> mean 3D as in x,y,z coordinates. Just a 2D bar graph with a 3D shaped bard.
> See attached excel file for an example.

It is not possible.

> Before anyone asks I know that 3D looking bars don't add anything except
> "prettiness".

That is being far too generous.  Setting aside that "prettiness" may be
subjective, if changing to a 3D effect only affected the "prettiness,"
there would not be the negative reaction to it that there is.  In fact,
a 3D effect reduces the ability for a graph to be correctly understood.
  It distorts the data.  When I see a 3D bar plot, I think "This person
wants me to think I've been presented with information, but they have
deliberately chosen a format that distorts the data.  I wonder what they
are hiding?"

At least you didn't ask about a 3D pie chart.

> http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n3713305/Example.xlsx Example.xlsx
>
> --

Brian S. Diggs, PhD
Senior Research Associate, Department of Surgery
Oregon Health & Science University