[R] RPMs needed to compile R using the tar.gz file

Alexander Engelhardt alex at chaotic-neutral.de
Fri Aug 5 14:10:57 CEST 2011

Am 05.08.2011 12:24, schrieb Patrick Connolly:
> I don't wish to install R by rpm.  I need to know what Fedora rpms I
> need to install to give me the capability to install R using the
> tar.gz source file as I've done for years.

Try this command:

rpm -qpR your_R.rpm | xargs rpm -ivh

The part before the pipe symbol lists all dependent packages, and the
xargs command uses those packages and appends them to 'rpm -ivh'.
I guess you'll need the R rpm to check for its dependencies, but you
don't have to install it.

I didn't test the command, but I guess it will work, maybe with some
minor tweaking.

Cheers,
  Alex