[R] rJava on Debian squeeze (or other versions of Linux)?

Barnet Wagman bw at norbl.com
Sat Aug 6 16:59:48 CEST 2011

On 8/6/11 9:37 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> | I'm going to be using rJava as part of a package I'm developing, so I
> | need to be able to install it in a more generic way than the Debian
>
> Care to define "more generic way than Debian" ?

^ I mean:
(i) Install Java from Oracle
(ii) run R CMD javareconf if necessary
(iii) Install the rJava package from within R, i.e.
install.package("rJava", ...)

I'm trying to avoid using the Debian specific package.

> R CMD javareconf _should_ be all you need if you $PATH etc are properly setup.
^ Is there any documentation on what javareconf wants in the $PATH?
I've tried setting $JAVA_HOME to all all sorts of things without success.

> If not you may need more help from the R/Java list Simon runs.

^ I didn't know that Simon was currently running a list and haven't been
able to find it.  Do you have a url or subscription email address?

thanks