[R] Distance between a vector and matrix rows

vioravis vioravis at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 09:02:27 CEST 2011

I am trying to find the distance between a vector and each row of a
dataframe. I am using the function "distancevector" in the package "hopach"
as follows:

mydata<-as.data.frame(matrix(c(1,1,1,1,0,1,1,1,1,0),nrow=2))

 V1 V2 V3 V4 V5
1  1  1  0  1  1
2  1  1  1  1  0
vec <- c(1,1,1,1,1)
d2<-distancevector(mydata,vec,d="euclid")

The Euclidean distance between the two rows of the data frame to the vector
should be 1. But I am getting 0.4472136 for both.

Can someone please point out the reason for the discrepancy???

Also, are there other packages for calculating the distance between a binary
vector and all the rows of a data frame (contains only binary values)?

Thank you.

Ravi