[R] randomForest partial dependence plot variable names

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Aug 9 16:45:10 CEST 2011

See if the following is close to what you're looking for.  If not, please give more detail on what you want to do.

data(airquality)
airquality <- na.omit(airquality)
set.seed(131)
ozone.rf <- randomForest(Ozone ~ ., airquality, importance=TRUE)
imp <- importance(ozone.rf)  # get the importance measures
impvar <- rownames(imp)[order(imp[, 1], decreasing=TRUE)]  # get the sorted names
op <- par(mfrow=c(2, 3))
for (i in seq_along(impvar)) {
    partialPlot(ozone.rf, airquality, impvar[i], xlab=impvar[i],
                main=paste("Partial Dependence on", impvar[i]), ylim=c(30, 70))
}
par(op)

Andy