[R] embedFonts() does not embed fonts?

Sverre Stausland johnsen at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 9 22:48:50 CEST 2011

Dear helpers,

I'm trying out the embedFonts() to embed fonts into my pdf files.
However, when I inspect the new pdf with a program designed to look
for embedded fonts, I see that the fonts have in fact not been
embedded. Below are my calls.

R version 2.13.1 (2011-07-08)
Copyright (C) 2011 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> Sys.setenv("R_GSCMD"="C:/Downloads/gs9.04/bin/gswin32c.exe")
>
> pdf(file = "test.pdf", family = "serif")
> plot(1:10)
> dev.off()
null device
          1

> embedFonts(file = "test.pdf", format = "pdfwrite", outfile = "test_em.pdf",fontpaths =

"C/Windows/Fonts")

> Sys.unsetenv(x = "R_GSCMD")
>
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.13.1 (2011-07-08)
Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
> Sys.getlocale()
[1] "LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United

States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United

States.1252"

pdffonts.exe test_em.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID