[R] plot 3d info in 2d

S Ellison S.Ellison at LGCGroup.com
Wed Aug 10 12:22:11 CEST 2011

Very easy if you note that cex in plot can be a vector.

example:

x <- runif(100)
y<-runif(100)
z<-runif(100)

#shift and scale z for convenience 9the scaling is based on range 'cos we know this is in [0,1]
#your mileage may vary but the principle is )
 z.scaled <- 0.05 + (z-min(z))/diff(range(z))

plot(x, y, cex=2*z.scaled)
	#Symbol size increases linearly with z

You can add a key by giving legend() a list of three or four cex values and corresponding distances in z, if yo like.

But ggplot (as a previous poster indicated) is also a natural way to do this, and adds a nice key for you if you map a variable to an aesthetic.