[R] Reduce the space under legend title

Amelia McNamara amelia.mcnamara at stat.ucla.edu
Fri Aug 12 01:28:20 CEST 2011

I would like to know if there is a way to reduce the space between the
legend title and the first line of the legend, without reducing all
the vertical space using y.intersp. Because of lack of space, I would
like to differentiate my title by bolding it, and reduce the vertical
space under the title to the space typically used between categories
in a legend.

plot(c(1.1, 2.3, 4.6), c(2.0, 1.6, 3.2), pch=c(1,2,3))
legend(x="bottomright", legend=c("Category 1", "Category 2", "Category
3"), title=expression(bold("Fairly long title")), pch=c(1,2,3),
bty="o")

~Amelia McNamara
Statistics PhD student, UCLA