[R] Getting data from an *.RData file into a data.frame object.

Ed Heaton heatone at comcast.net
Fri Aug 12 21:12:00 CEST 2011

Hi, all.

I'm new to R.  I've been a SAS programmer for 20 years.

I seem to be having trouble with the most basic task - bringing a table in
an *.RData file into a data.frame object.

Here's how I created the *.RData file.

library(RODBC)
db <- odbcConnect("*******")
df <- sqlQuery(
    db
  , "select * from schema.table where year(someDate)=2006"
)
save(
    df
  , file="C:/Documents and Settings/userName/My Documents/table2006.RData"
)
dim(df)
remove(df)
odbcClose(db)
remove(db)
detach("package:RODBC")

Next, I moved that data file (table2006.RData) to another workstation - not
at the client site.

Now, I need to get that data file into a data.frame object.  I know this
should be simple, but I can't seem to find out how to do that.  I tried the
following.  First, after opening R without doing anything, RGui used 35,008
KB of memory.  I submitted the following.

> debt2006 <- load("T:/R.Data/table2006.RData")

Memory used by RGui jumped to 191,512 KB.  So, it looks like the data
loaded.  However, debt2005 is of type character instead of data.frame.

> ls()
[1] "debt2005"
> class(debt2005)
[1] "character"

Help, please.

Ed

Ed Heaton
Project Manager, Sr. SAS Developer
Data and Analytic Solutions, Inc.
10318 Yearling Drive
Rockville, MD 20850
Office: 301-520-7414
eheaton at dasconsultants.com
www.dasconsultants.com <http://www.dasconsultants.com/>
CMMI ML-2, SBA 8(a) & SDB, WBE (WBENC), MBE (VA & MD)

ed at heaton.name

(Re: http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html)