[R] Problem loading rJava... (apparently solved)

Brian Lunergan ff809 at ncf.ca
Tue Aug 16 03:14:18 CEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 10:41 -0500, Joseph Magagnoli wrote:
> Brian,
> I believe I had a similar problem.  Make sure you have JDK (*sun-java6-jdk)
> * installed as well.
> Here is a link to a JDK install guide
>  http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-ubuntu-linux-install-configure-jdk-jre/

<content trimmed somewhat for brevity>

Joseph:

Thanks VERY much for the link. Worked through the steps and ran
javareconf again. The cpp flags variable was no longer empty. Opened a
root terminal window, fired up R, and (with a few warning shots by the
system on compilation) rJava is now settled into place. Now to try
pulling in the R commander plugin I was after that depended on rJava.

I will say it again. Your help was much appreciated. I may be using an
older edition of Ubuntu, but I sincerely believe the answers are out
there in the collective memory of those on the list who used the Heron
and R. Sorry, Dirk, but if a problem comes up I will still ask help of
the list. If there is an answer (and so far all problems have been laid
to rest with the help of Joseph and others) then great. Otherwise, I
will simply accept that the particular functionality is unavailable
either because it just will not work on the Heron, or the answer has
faded from view.

Regards...
--
Brian Lunergan