[R] Font size R

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Tue Aug 16 13:32:17 CEST 2011

On 15.08.2011 23:31, Filoche wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I'm using this following code:
>
> pdf(file="Fig5.pdf", width = 4.86, height = 6.29, pointsize = 10, family
> ='Times')
> par(mfcol = c(3,2), mai = c(0.4,0.8,0,0), omi = c(0.7, 0, 0.7, 0.1));
> hist( rnorm(100) )
> dev.off()
>
> When I open this in any vectorial software (like Illustrator), it says that
> my font size is 7 instead of 10 that I specified.
>

> I have tried (whitout the PAR line):
>
> pdf(file="Fig5.pdf", width = 4.86, height = 6.29, pointsize = 10, family
> ='Times')
>
> hist( rnorm(100) )
> dev.off()
>
> And this is working.
>

> Anyone know why the font size is not retained when I use PAR? It seems that
> R is adjusting font size when using PAR to split my device into subplot.

Right, it is reduced in the case of splitting the decice, see ?par and
its section about "mfcol" as the posting guide asks you to do before
posting:

     In a layout with exactly two rows and columns the base value
           of ‘"cex"’ is reduced by a factor of 0.83: if there are three
           or more of either rows or columns, the reduction factor is
           0.66.

Uwe Ligges