[R] Using require() vs. library()

Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) NordlDJ at dshs.wa.gov
Wed Aug 17 19:57:20 CEST 2011

Well, I guess when I read that "require is designed for use inside other functions..." I wasn't sure if that meant there might be times when it would be better to use library when not inside other functions.  But maybe it was more generally a question about style, prompted by a post responding to the common confusion between the terms 'package' and 'library' amongst those new to R.  To me, it always seemed more natural type require(my.package) than library(my.package).  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that might make me regret that choice.

Dan

Daniel J. Nordlund
Planning, Performance, and Accountability
Research and Data Analysis Division
Olympia, WA 98504-5204