[R] Lattice help: Dotplot

sw1 oosw1oo at comcast.net
Fri Aug 19 23:07:55 CEST 2011

With Dotplot, I'm trying to make a figure that will ultimately have the same
x-axis (which will be my response variable and the error bars), but the
y-axis will consist of a different label for every point. Here's my code:

Dotplot(fTaxonGrouped ~ Cbind(normSlope,normLwr,normUpr)|fGroup,
groups=fEpoch,
	pch=c(17,15,19), col=c(3:1),
	scales = list(
		y = list(relation = "sliced",axs = "r", alternating = 0,tick.number=10),
		x = list(tick.number = 6)
	))

It ALMOST does exactly what I. There are six small graphs, and each
datapoint has a unique value on the y-axis (integers), but once I try to
change the y-axis tick labels to the list containing the names of each
datapoint (characters), it lists only the first 10 names for all 6 graphs --
that is, it repeats the names, so they are no longer unique and are also
mislabeled.

If I change the relation to "same", the correct datapoints are plotted for
their appropriate group and hence appropriate plot, and every point is
labeled correctly, but because only about 10 data points apply to each
group, I have 6 plots with about 10 points each but all 40 names listed in
every one.

Essentially, I need the graph the results when relation is set to "same",
but with blank labels removed (like when relation is set to "sliced") and
thus scaled correctly, but the labels cannot be changed into integers, which
is what happens when relation is set to "slice."

Thanks