[R] Problem Installing/Uninstalling Rattle

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sat Aug 20 17:58:50 CEST 2011

Cleaning up some old messages, I found this one....

On 02.08.2011 14:51, adarwish wrote:
> Rattle won't install properly on my Windows 7 64 bit laptop.
>
> Here is what I've tried:
>
> I've followed the instructions here:
> http://rattle.togaware.com/rattle-install-mswindows.html
> I had R installed already.
> I downloaded the GTK+ packages, unzipped the 32 bit one into c:\gtkwin32.

See  the repository's ReadMe in
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.13/ReadMe
that tells you:

- Package RGtk2 requires an an installation of Gtk+ aka Gtk2 >= 2.20.
   For 32-bit R, version 2.20 or later from
     http://www.gtk.org/download/win32.php, e.g.

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/gtk+/2.22/gtk+-bundle_2.22.0-20101016_win32.zip
   For 64-bit R, version 2.20 or later from
     http://www.gtk.org/download/win64.php, e.g.

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win64/gtk+/2.22/gtk+-bundle_2.22.0-20101016_win64.zip
   In each case, unpack the zip file in a suitable empty directory and
     put the 'bin' directory in your path.  NB: the 32-bit and 64-bit
     distributions contain DLLs of the same names, and so you must ensure
     that you have the 32-bit version in your path when running 32-bit R
     and the 64-bit version when running 64-bit R - and the error
     messages you get with the wrong version are confusing.

> I put c:\gtkwin32\bin in the system variables PATH.
>
> I launched R, installed the rattle package, called the rattle library,
> called rattle().
>
> It told me RGtk2 could not be found and asked to install it.  I let it
> download it to install, but still nothing.
>
> Restarting/resintalling R has not helped.  And when I try
> "remove.packages(rattle)" I get the error:
>
> Removing package(s) from ‘C:/Users/darwish/Documents/R/win-library/2.13’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> Error in match(x, table, nomatch = 0L) :
>    'match' requires vector arguments

The package name has to be quotes (i.e. specified as character rather
than symbol).

Uwe Ligges