[R] Wiki/revision control to management of CRAN package repository

Philippe Grosjean Philippe.Grosjean at umons.ac.be
Mon Aug 22 10:57:23 CEST 2011

Hello,

For the R Wiki, not very realistic to think about fusing it with the
other tools, due to the nature of a wiki on one hand, and the necessity
to share the CRAN site across different repositories on the other hand.

Also, I think that packages development is in the hand of their
respective developers/maintainers. Except for making sure they pass R
CMD check and respect a limited amount of requirements (license, size of
enclosed documents, ...), it is probably not a good idea to FORCE people
to collaborate, or share the same point of view for a given R extension.
There are sometimes very different implementations of the same concept,
e.g., object oriented approaches in S3/S4 (official), but see also R.oo
or proto for alternative ideas. Another example: RUnit vs svUnit vs
testthat. Would not be a good idea to force all these people to share
the same implementation and fuse everything in a single package,...
unless they decide by themselves, and completely freely, to do so.

This is an Open Source community, and it evolves a little bit like
natural living ecosystems... with different ideas that could emerge and
are ultimately selected by a kind of natural selection mechanism,
related to (1) adoption of one or the other tool by the R community, and
(2) the energy put in the project by their developers to maintain or
make it better suitable to the community. That mechanism can only work
if you are not too rigid in constraints for R packages.

The drawback is a little bit of confusion for the end-user that does not
always easily know which of the different implementations he should adopt.

Best,

Philippe Grosjean