[R] Duplicate Rows in xts

Muhammad Abuizzah izzah100 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 01:46:17 CEST 2011

I read enourmous comment about this questions stating that it was answered before.
I have been looking for the answer for a week without luck !!!
I searched the archives the xts. vignitte , googled for an answer but couldn't find one so her it is:

the Vignette states that xts "doesn't inforce the duplicate row requirement" but yet when I try to bring in tick stock data from a data frame as.xts it complains that the string is in an ambigious format.

The date and time were in two separate columns I corrected that using excel and put them both in one column and saved the file as a text file in which the first column became similar to the example below.  tried to read the table directly, didn't work, I brought in the data as a data.frame() then tried to convert it, that didn't work either

bellow is an example of how my data looks it has more than 2 columns, but the important column is the first one,  the second column "xxx" is price:

2011-02-10 12:21:05     xxx
2011-02-10 12:21:05     xxx

Then I found out that zoo would allow me to bring the data in with the duplicates it will ask you to fix it but atleast I would havce a zoo object.  I thought I could trick it this way by bring it as zoo, then convert it to xts with the as.xts function      that didn't work either

I read a solution about using make.unique function I tried it with the code bellow, that didn't work

aapl<- make.index.unique(as.xts(read.table("C:\\Data Files\\new\\aapl.txt")))

part of the confusion with the "unique" function was should I wrape the xts object with it or should I wrap it (unique) within the xts, I didn't know the order so I tried both, and neithe worked

So I gave up !!How can I bring in a txt file into R as an xts object when I have duplicate rows on seconds knowing I dont have fractions of seconds? Do we have to use the unique function or is it true that xts doesn't enforce the unique date requirement?

Please provide code example based on the code line in blue and (aapl stock data) and date format above.

Thanks in advance