[R] obtaining p-values for lm.ridge() coefficients (package 'MASS')

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Tue Aug 23 16:05:34 CEST 2011

On 8/23/2011 3:35 AM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
[snip]

> But how does one obtain the customary 'lm' summary information for the
> model above? I tried supplying the chosen lambda to Design::ols()
> using its 'penalty' argument, but strangely the results differ. See
> below.
>
>> require(Design)
>> Design::ols(Employed ~ GNP.deflator + GNP + Unemployed + Armed.Forces + Population + Year,data=longley,penalty = 0.03,tol=1e-12)

First, you should be using rms::ols, as Design is old.
Second, penalty in ols() is not the same as the ridge constant in
lm.ridge, but rather a penalty on the log likelihood.  The documentation
for ols refers to ?lrm for the description.

Third, other ridge estimators (e.g., ElemStatLearn::simple.ridge also
give slightly different results for the same data due to differences in
the way scaling is handled.

hth,
-Michael

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.