[R] Odp: boxplot from mean and SD data

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Wed Aug 24 13:18:24 CEST 2011

Hi

> Dear all,
>
> I have a dataset of 3 categorical factors, the mean and the standard
> deviation of each value. I want to use these values to plot a boxplot,
> grouped by each of the 3 categorical factors (24 boxplots in total). I
> don't have a clue on how to do the boxplot from mean and SD data already
calculated.

I am afraid that you can not do it. Only if you you accept assumption that
distribution within each factor is normal and therefore median equals
mean. You can than also use 25 an 75 percentile for box construction.

see ?boxplot and ?bxp for internals of plotting function.

One possibility also is to generate values by mean and sd parameters to
rnorm, although I do not see the reason for doing it.

Regards
Petr