[R] ddply from plyr package - any alternatives?

AdamMarczak adam.marczak at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 18:25:43 CEST 2011

Hello everyone,
I was asked to repost this again, sorry for any inconvenience.

I'm looking replacement for ddply function from plyr package.
Function allows to apply function by category stored in any column/columns.

Regular loops or lapplys slow down greatly because my unique combination
count exceeds 9000. Is there any available solution which allow me to apply
function by category?

currently my code looks like snippet below

ddply(myData, c("country_name", "product_name"), myFunction)

Please note that I'm looking for decently performing resolution.

Thanks in advance!

With regards,
Adam.