[R] Change color in forest.rma (metafor)

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Aug 25 18:08:27 CEST 2011

The color of the squares is also currently hard coded.

The thing is, there are so many different elements to a forest plot (squares, lines, polygons, text, axes, axis labels, etc.), if I would add arguments to set the color of each element, things would really get out of hand (as far as I am concerned, there are already too many arguments to begin with). I can think of one possibility: I could allow the col argument to accept a vector of colors and then apply the different elements of that vector to the various elements in the plot. Of course, there is also a limit to how far that can be taken. For example, what if somebody wants to have a different color for *one* of the squares and a different color for the other squares?

Another possibility is to do some post-processing with other software. One can create the forest plot in R, save it for example as a postscript file, and the edit the plot in other software. Yes, I prefer it if I can create the plot in R and have it exactly the way I want it (without having to do any post-processing), but sometimes that may not be possible.

Note that you can always add whatever you want to a plot created by the forest() function after it has been drawn. You can add text, lines, squares, polygons, whatever in any color you desire (e.g., with the text(), segments(), points(), polygon() functions). So, you could also just plot over the squares with:

points(yi, 4:1, pch=15, col="red")

To get rid of the black squares that are drawn by the forest function, add psize=0 as an argument in forest() (this will make the size of squares equal to 0, so essentially, they are invisible).

If you want to make the size of the points inversely proportional to some function of the precision of the estimates, use points() together with the cex argument. For example:

wi <- 1/sqrt(vi)
psize <- wi/sum(wi)
psize <- (psize - min(psize)) / (max(psize) - min(psize))
psize <- (psize * 1.0) + 0.5
points(yi, 4:1, pch=15, col="red", cex=psize)

Best,

Wolfgang