[R] Segment out of the Graph

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Aug 25 19:44:17 CEST 2011

On Aug 25, 2011, at 1:30 PM, Claudio Zanettini wrote:

>> I tried setting ylim=(0, 1000)
>> but the segment that I have draw is at y=-10
>> so if I set the y origin to 0 I don t have the segment,
>> if a l leave it at -10 I have the segment but the axis start from
>> -10.
>>
>> I would like to have both.
>> So to have a graph with ylim=( 0, 1000)
>> and under it a segment parallel to the x axis at  -10.

If you really want that then you will need to look at the xpd
parameter for par.

>> I am sorry it is contorted thing :)
>>
>> Claudio

If instead you want to plot at y= -10 without changing xpd, then set
axes=FALSE in the plot command and then construct your x and y axes
separately to your specifications. Any more specific comments will
require that you present code (as well as a better description)  that
constructs an example.

--
David.

>> 2011/8/25 R. Michael Weylandt <michael.weylandt at gmail.com>
>>
>>> "lim" is not the argument: "ylim" is.
>>>
>>> You put in a vector of length 2 comprising the min and max y you
>>> wish:
>>> consider this:
>>>
>>> x = -5:5; y = x^2; z = rep(-5,11);
>>> layout(1:2)
>>> plot(x,y,type="b"); lines(x,z,col=2)