[R] Synchronizing R libraries on N machines?

Iain Gallagher iaingallagher at btopenworld.com
Fri Aug 26 15:45:48 CEST 2011

Hi Giovanni

Using Ubuntu and MacOSX may not be irrelevant. I use Ubuntu and if I carry out a fresh install (e.g. after a new release - although I've stuck with 10.04 so far) then I always have to mess around, check the web etc to install external packages that R libraries I want to use rely on.

A good example would be libxml2-dev (which doesn't appear if you use Synaptic and search for xml2 - sigh) for using biomaRt etc etc.

Just a heads up that the external software some R libraries rely on might not be installed on both systems. So installing a package on one system sucessfully doesn't mean you can alway expect it to install without incident on another.

Best

iain