[R] Synchronizing R libraries on N machines?

Hans Ekbrand hans at sociologi.cjb.net
Fri Aug 26 20:34:03 CEST 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 08:25:02AM -0500, Giovanni Petris wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am using R on two different machines (under Ubuntu and OS X, but this
> is probably irrelevant) and I would like to keep the two installations
> 'synchronized', in particular in terms of installed packages. For
> example, if I install package xxx on my Linux machine, I would like to
> find it installed also on my Mac, and vice versa.
>
> I imagine this to be a fairly common problem, so I would like to ask if
> anybody has suggestions to share about it. Is there a way to make the
> synchronization automatic? Painless?

I have a number of machines in a home LAN that share /usr/local where
I have all but a few R-packages that are automatically installed by
the OS package-mangagement system (by installing the meta package
r-recommended).

I have the following snippet in my .Rprofile

lib.loc = "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/"

so whenever a package is installed, all machines have access to it.

This will of course not work if the machines are running different
OS:es, so that is not irrelevant.