[R] calculating avg silhouette with fpc package

Matthew Pirritano matthewpirritano at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 28 02:46:34 CEST 2011

All,

Excuse me for being a newbie.

I'm trying to calculate the average silhouette, a measure of cluster
validity.

I've already brought my spss data in. It's 1008 cases with 8 variables, no
missing data. So far I've run this:

> fit <- agnes(mydata, diss= FALSE, metric = "euclidean", stand=FALSE,
method = "ward")

When I look at the results for this command it appears to be more than just
the distance matrix I need to plug into cluster.stats in the fpc package.
How do I isolate the distance matrix so that I can then run cluster.stats?

Any help is much appreciated. If you need me to clarify with more info
please ask.

Thanks
matt