[R] Error: package 'lsei' is not installed for 'arch=i386'

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 28 22:08:12 CEST 2011

Uwe Ligges-3 wrote:

> On 27.08.2011 15:51, MK wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I am having problem loading a package that I have installed. I have
>> searched
>> some old thread but they were no help in terms of solving the problem.
>>
>> I uninstalled every possible component of R and installed R 2.13
>
> May we assume R-2.13.1 is meant here? (there never was a R-2.13 release)
>
>> and
>> followed the R-faqs installation steps. Then I installed the package
>> (lsei)
>> from local zip file
>
> Further on, may we assume this is Windows? (unstated)
>
>  > which was installed successfully but can not be loaded
>> and returns the error message as titled. The zip file can be downloaded
>> below, it used to work fine on my old version of R (I think it was 2.9).
>>
>> http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~yongwang/
>>
>> I've check .libPaths() as some suggested and remove the copy in the first
>> directory but that was the only copy that I have on the machine.
>>
>> Can someone give me a direction on how I can solve this problem?
>

> Don't use the Windows binary package but install the package from
> sources, two reasons:
>
> 1. Since R-2.10.x, R has a new help system. Binary packages prepared for
> R < 2.10.0 cannot work with the new help system.
> 2. Since R-2.12.0, the location of compiled code changed. Hence binary
> packages prepared for R < 2.12.0 that include compiled code cannot work
> with recent versions of R.
>
> Uwe Ligges

I have run R CMD check on the source package obtained from the link provided
by the OP.
The sources need repair work.

There are unexpected } in the documentation.
There are undocumented functions at user level (because of no NAMESPACE?)
The Fortran source contains trailing spaces on many (maybe all) lines
causing gfortran warnings for  lines truncated at column 72 (harmless but
shouldn't happen)

Berend