[R] Treat an Unquoted Character String as a Data Frame

dbateman dbateman at endocyte.com
Wed Aug 31 17:44:44 CEST 2011

I have several datasets that come from different studies (fv02 and fv03),
they represent different levels (patients and lesions), and they have
different patient populations (itt, mitt, mitt3).  I wanted to write some
code that would pass my three requirements into a function I wrote, produce
the output, but not have to require me to also pass a unique plot title or
output filename for each function call.  The title and file name would be
created in the function according to the three input parameters.

My datasets are named like this (all six are repeated for "fv03" in place of
"fv02"):
   fv02patients.itt
   fv02patients.mitt
   fv02patients.mitt3
   fv02lesions.itt
   fv02lesions.mitt
   fv02lesions.mitt3

Taking the first dataset as an example, I currently have this code:
   study="fv02"
   level="patients"
   population="itt"
   noquote(paste(study,level,".",population,sep=""))

This produces the desired fv02patients.itt, but it is just an unquoted
character string rather than a data frame.

Here is a condensed look at my function:

waterfall=function(data,title,file)
{	barplot(height=data$brpercent,main=paste("Best Change in Tumor
Volume\n",title)),
	savePlot(filename=file,type="pdf")
}
waterfall(data=fv02patients.itt,title="EC-FV-02 ITT
Patients",file=fv02_itt_patients_waterfall")

It may be easier to leave it the way I have it, but if this is possible, I
would still be interested in knowing.