[R] Extract last 3 characters from numeric vector

Kang Min ngokangmin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 14:38:29 CET 2011

Hi all,

I have a numeric vector with 1 decimal place, and I'd like to extract
the last 3 characters, including the decimal point. The vector ranges
from 0 to 20.

x <- round(runif(100)*20, digits=1)

Some of numbers have 3 characters, and some have 4. I've read up on
the substr() function but that extracts characters based on exact
positions. How can I extract just the last 3 characters no matter the
length of the number? e.g. from 16.7 I want 6.7, from 3.5 I want 3.5
as it is.

Thanks,
Kang Min