[R] map at fips level using multiple variables

bby2103 at columbia.edu bby2103 at columbia.edu
Thu Dec 8 05:14:27 CET 2011

Hi David,

Sorry it sounds vague.

Here is my current code, which gives the distribution of family size
at US county level. You will see on a US map family size distribution
represented by different colors.

Now if i have another variable income, which has 3 categories(<50k,
50k-80k,>80k). How do I show 5x3 categories on the map? I guess I
could always create a third variable to do this. Just wondering maybe
there is a function to do this readily?

Thank you!
Bonnie Yuan

y=data1$size
x11()
hist(y,nclass=15) # histogram of y
fivenum(y)
# specify the cut-off point of y
y.colorBuckets=as.numeric(cut(y, c(1,2, 3,6)))
# legend showing the cut-off points.
legend.txt=c("0-1","1-2","2-3","3-6",">6")
colorsmatched=y.colorBuckets[match(county.fips$fips,fips[,1])]
x11()
map("county", col = colors[colorsmatched], fill = TRUE, resolution = 0)
map("state", col = "white", fill = FALSE, add = TRUE, lty = 1, lwd = 0.2)
title("Family Size")
legend("bottom", legend.txt, horiz = TRUE, fill = colors, cex=0.7)