[R] nice report generator?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 00:51:43 CET 2011

On 11-12-08 1:37 PM, Tal Galili wrote:
> Helloe dear Duncan, Gabor, Michael and others,
>
> Do you think it could be (reasonably) possible to create a bridge between a
> "cast_df" object from the {reshape} package into a table in Duncan's new
> {tables} package?

I'm not that familiar with the reshape package (and neither it nor
reshape2 appears to have a vignette to give me an overview), so I don't
have any idea if that makes sense.  The table package is made to work on
dataframes, and only dataframes.  It converts them into matrices with
lots of attributes, so that the print methods can put nice labels on.
But it's strictly rectangular to rectangular in the kinds of conversions
it does, and from the little I know about reshape, it works on more
general arrays, converting them to and from dataframes.

> That would allow one to do pivot-table like operations on an object using
> {reshape}, and then display it (as it would have been in excel - or better)
> using the {tables} package.

You'll have to give an example of what you want to do.

Duncan Murdoch