[R] R/parallel

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 9 08:29:38 CET 2011

On Thu, 8 Dec 2011, Scott Raynaud wrote:

> Looks like this requires use of foreach and??lots of extra coding.??
> R/parallel only requires that the loop be bracketed with the code
> to start the parallel processing-about 4-5 lines.?? Seems??a lot??
> easier to me.?? If I were to go to the trouble of writing a lot of
> new code, it seems that recompiling with BLAS and pnmath would be
> a better option.

On Windows, that will be man-days of work unless you know the insides
intimately (and no guarantees that it will eventually give a speed
increase).  There is no support for parallel BLAS nor OpenMP nor
pthreads in the current R sources/binaries for Windows.

> ??
> My main question is how to handle the random number generation
> when the child processes are spawned.?? That's a problem no matter
> what method I choose to create the threads.

A caveat: the R interpreter is not thread-safe: don't assume that you
can run R code in parallel threads.

I don't know what you mean by 'R/parallel'.  However, R has a
'parallel' package, and its vignette discusses all this (including
RNG).  Adding parallel support using package 'parallel' is simple (and
well-documented), not least as it comes ready-to-roll with R.

If you meant the unfortunately named project at www.rparallel.org, a
few comments:

1) It has not been updated in 3 years, and the pre-compiled Windows
binaries are not going to work with recent R (like R >= 2.10.0).

2) It seems a lot less mature than the 'parallel' package and makes
several restrictive assumptions.

3) Part of that lack of maturity is lack of documentation (including
of the restrictive assumptions).

4) Inter-process communication seems to be by files.  That is going to
be slow, especially on Windows.  Package 'parallel' uses sockets and
pipes.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk