[R] .nc files query

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 16 10:48:50 CET 2011

On 16/12/2011 02:19, vaish wrote:
> Hello Everyone, I have tried using open.ncdf(con,..) to open .nc files in R,
> but somehow, its showing that R could not find function open.ncdf. I am new
> to R, please help me out with this.

Yet somewhere you found a reference to open.ncdf -- a pretty arcane
function not part of R itself.  Please check what else the reference
said (and remember for the future that we cannot know what you have
read, so please tell us).

It is likely you need to install and load the package ncdf.  But that is
not the only way to read NetCDF files in R (I presume that is what you
meant), and indeed cannot read the most recent NetCDF format.  There are
also CRAN packages RNetCDF and ncdf4, and other ways have been tried
(and can be found by googling).