[R] optim with simulated annealing SANN for combinatorial optimization

John C Nash nashjc at uottawa.ca
Fri Dec 16 17:23:15 CET 2011

A particularly unfortunate aspect of "SANN" in optim() is that it will evaluate the
objective function 'maxit' times and quit with conv=0, implying it has "converged".

The Rd file points out a number of departures of SANN from the other optimizers, but a key
one is that it does NOT return a result that can be considered as an optimum without
external testing and evaluation. When (if??) I get to a point where I'm satisfied with the
local minimizers in the optimx package, I hope to prepare a similar wrapper for the
stochastic optimizers like SANN. As with many tools in this domain, for effective use they
require more knowledge than many of their users possess, and can be dangerous because they
seem to "work".

JN