[R] Odp: Problem with package compilation

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sat Dec 17 20:18:05 CET 2011

On 16.12.2011 08:04, Petr PIKAL wrote:
> Hi
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a R package with some functions made all of then only with R
>> code. I use the command R CMD build to build a package that I can
>> install on linux, windows or mac, because all the code is only R code.
>> But I have some problems with R version. For each new R version I need
>> to rebuild the package to be install in this new version. It is possible
>
>> to make a package without this R Version dependence? I know that in a
>> little cases I need to adapt my package when R change some of this basic
>
>> functions, but it is very rare.
>>
>> Any idea? Is only a tag to put on my package? Or this is the correct
>> way, maintain the R version dependence?
>
> Not sure if this is "correct" way but on windows I usually only copy my
> package from one R version to another.

This may or may not work. For example, with the change of the help
system for R-2.10.0, all packages had to be reinstalled. With R-2.14.0,
all packages must have a NAMESPACE that is otherwise genertated on
installation. There may other changes that effect less (but still some)
packages for other R releases, hence it is always advisable to
re-install after you upgraded from R-x.y.z to a new R-x.y+1.z* release.

update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE) does that for CRAN and BioC (if a BioC
repository / mirror is chosen) packages.

Uwe Ligges