[R] Help with PCA

William Revelle lists at revelle.net
Fri Dec 30 16:43:00 CET 2011

Sarah and elisacarli21

principal in the psych package will do principal components of a correlation or covariance matrix.

ex:

library(psych)
principal(Thurstone,3,rotate="none")   #First three principal components of the Thurstone correlation matrix
#compare with eigen
e <- eigen(Thurstone)   #perform an eigen value decomposition
e   #show the resuls
e$vectors %*% diag(sqrt(e$values))  #convert to "loadings" and compare with the output from principal

Bill