[R] configure can't find readline -- but it's there!

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri Dec 30 18:21:32 CET 2011

Hi Sam,

It has been almost 3 years since I last used Linux (Fedora), but if memory serves using, as root, either:

 yum provides readline.h

or perhaps

 yum search readline

might be possible ways of getting the names of the relevant RPMs in the repos. You might have to tweak the 'readline' argument to get it to work (eg. readline* or something similar).

The need for the *-devel RPMs is referenced in the R Installation and Administration manual (Appendix A) and is a FAQ over the years here.

One other comment, which you may not be aware of. Pre-built R binaries are available for RHEL and CentOS via the EPEL:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

Adding the EPEL repos to your system would then allow you to install R using yum as root:

  yum install R

rather than building from source. R 2.14.0 is there now, however, R 2.14.1 is not yet present. I would guess that Tom Callaway et al would be working on that RSN.

Regards,

Marc